Outdoor grilling is one of the most popular ways to cook food, especially during the summer. But, a grill placed too close to anything that can burn is a fire hazard. Grills can also be very hot, causing burn injuries.
Cobb Fire and Emergency Services offer tips from the National Fire Protection Association to help keep families safe.
Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors. More than half of home grill structure fires begin on either a courtyard terrace or patio, or an exterior balcony or open porch, so the grill should be place well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
Keep children and pets away from the grill area and never leave the grill unattended.
If you used a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid and never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to an already burning fire.
Keep charcoal fluid out of reach of children and away from heat sources.
When finished grilling, let coals completely cook before disposing in a metal container.
Check the gas hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles.
If your grill has a leak, by smell or soap bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
If the leak does not stop, call the fire department. If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
For more information, visit nfpa.org/education.