* The first Thanksgiving was celebrated by the pilgrims in the fall of 1621 after surviving a year in the new world.
* To spur the struggling economy in 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt made Thanksgiving occur on the third Thursday of November, making the holiday shopping season longer.
* It remained that way until 1941, when Congress declared Thanksgiving to be held on the fourth Thursday of November once more.
* The first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was held in 1924. It featured Central Park zoo animals, people in costumes, and floats. The first large helium-filled balloon was of Felix the Cat in 1927.
* Black Friday, the phrase for the day after Thanksgiving, was coined by the Philadelphia Police in 1966, who were not happy about the traffic the day brought to their city.