The East Cobb County Council (ECCC) of PTAs created the Margie Hatfield Scholarship Fund in 1990 to honor Mrs. Hatfield’s dedication to the youth of our Council. Mrs. Hatfield spent countless hours working with the ECCC PTA, including serving as president for three consecutive years. With this service in mind, the Council PTA sponsors the scholarship program to help deserving youth in their educational journey. An emphasis is placed on the applicants’ service records and citizenship, attributes that embody the philosophy of the PTA.
This year, the Margie Hatfield Scholarship Fund will once again award a $1,000 scholarship to one student from each of the six high schools located within the East Cobb County Council (Kell, Lassiter, Pope, Sprayberry, Walton, and Wheeler). The following criteria, listed in order of significance, are used to evaluate applicants: involvement in service-oriented projects, community and extra-curricular activities, leadership, honors and awards, an essay, references, completeness of application, and grade point average. In addition:
• Any graduating ECCC high school senior who plans to enroll in a full-time course of study at an institute of higher learning may apply.
• Scholarship funds must be used for continuing education.
• There is no limit to the number of students that may apply.
• The deadline for receipt of applications is February 28, 2018. Applications will be available in the counselors’ offices in mid-January. Students may also download an application from the ECCC PTA website.
• Winners will be notified in early April and honored at the ECCC PTA general membership meeting held on April 19, 2018.
The ECCC PTA relies on donations from the 35 ECCC PTA schools and other community supporters to fund this scholarship. To donate, please contact Patty Pace, ECCC PTA Scholarship Chair, at email@example.com for more information.
This article originally appeared in the February issue of the EAST COBBER magazine, on pages 18. Click here to view the digital edition.